Kia whai mātauranga tātou mō ō tātou rākau mā te reo Māori.
Learn about our trees in te reo Māori!
In this recorded professional learning session, join Greta Dromgool and Manaaki Whenua researcher Dr Norm Mason as we share and discuss bilingual resources created through the collaboration of students, educators, botanists and te reo Māori experts.
Awesome mahi, thanks for all the rauemi.Participant
In 2022 Te Wharekura o Te Rau Aroha worked with botanist Norm Mason to learn to describe native tree species and to communicate this information to their peers and whānau. From this work a suite of articles was developed to support kaiako and akonga to learn about rākau trees.
The articles present the fundamentals of plant biology in a way that is accessible to anyone who may have limited prior knowledge of botany. These resources are extensively illustrated with images and bilingual diagrams, including the stunning botanical illustrations of the late Audrey Eagle.
The key science concepts covered in the articles include:
- pollination and seed dispersal
- seeds and germination
- leaf structure and photosynthesis
- classification and identification.
This session will be valuable for both primary and secondary school educators.
Amazing resources! I'll be sharing these links widely.Participant
You can download the video and slideshow presentation.
|Topic||Slideshow number(s)||Video timecodes|
|Introducing Dr Norm Mason||3–4||00:41|
|Ngā rākau ❘ Trees||9–10||08:13|
|He aha hoki tērā rākau? ❘ What kind of tree is that?||11–12||11:12|
|He pūnaha whakarōpū ❘ Classifying and identifying plants||13–18||19:20|
|Te haenga me te ruinga o te kākano ❘ Pollination and seed dispersal||19–21||27:48|
|Ngā kākano ❘ Seeds||22–25||30:28|
|Ngā rau o te rākau ❘ Tree leaves||26–32||35:14|
|SLH links, keep in touch and thanks||33||39:13|
He kōrero kōpūtahi ❘ Related content
- Ngā rākau ❘ Trees – article
- Plants – topic
- Native plant leaves – DIY classification system – activity
- Our native trees – PLD webinar
- The uniqueness of New Zealand plants – article
Ngā hono ❘ Useful links
- Flora Finder – Department of Botany, University of Otago, Te Tari Huaota te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo
- Experiencing native trees in your green space – Department of Conservation Te Papa Atawhai
- Te Wharekura o Te Rau Aroha – video featuring the field trip with the kura
- Paekupu – online glossary (Māori to English or English to Māori) for science and other learning areas
- Science Learning Hub – Pokapū Akoranga Pūtaiao Trees – Pinterest board.
Tēnei te mihi nui ki a Mokoro Gillett (Tumuaki o Te Wharekura o Te Rau Aroha) rāua ko Norman Mason (Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research). Tēnā kōrua.