In this activity, students watch video clips of IRL research scientist Dr Nick Strickland talking about superconductivity and the Meissner effect and then answer a series of questions and solve some simple electrical problems related to the content.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe the Meissner effect
- explain in simple terms how the Meissner effect comes about
- give meanings for the terms ‘electrical resistance’, ‘electric current’, ‘voltage’ and ‘magnetic field’
- state some of the uses the Meissner effect has been put to.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- student worksheet.