In this activity, students listen to a podcast of IRL superconductivity scientist Bob Buckley talking about this work and then answer a series of graded questions related to the content.
By the end of this activity students should be able to:
- define the term superconductivity
- give at least 5 applications for superconductive wires/cables
- list 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages superconductive wires have over conventional copper wire
- briefly explain how superconductive cables are fabricated
- describe why the term ‘high temperature’ is used in a relative way.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- student worksheet.