In this activity, students identify the main minerals present in granite and investigate some of their properties.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- identify the rock known as granite
- recognise and identify the main minerals present in granite
- state some of the physical properties associated with each of the component minerals
- effectively use optical aids such as hand lenses and simple binocular microscopes.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- ideas for extending your students
- student worksheet.