In this activity, students measure the specific gravity of a sample of the mineral quartz – another physical property of minerals that can be used in mineral identification.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain the meaning of the term specific gravity
- calculate the specific gravity of a mineral sample from selected data
- recognise how specific gravity can vary from one mineral sample to another
- relate physical properties such as specific gravity as an aid in the identification of minerals.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- ideas for extending your students
- student worksheet.