In this activity, students investigate how bone strength varies with its mineral content and the solubility of bone minerals in neutral and acidic solutions.
By the end of this activity students should be able to:
- relate bone strength to its mineral content
- recognise that hydroxyapatite is soluble in acid solutions
- identify hydroxyapatite as a calcium phosphate mineral
- describe bone as a specialised form of connective tissue.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- ideas for extending your students
- student worksheet.