In this activity, students create artificial bones made of paper to compare the relative strength of solid bones with hollow bones.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe the main anatomical features of a large load-bearing bone like the femur
- compare the load characteristics of hollow versus solid paper ‘bones’
- explain the advantages of hollow versus solid in terms of bone construction.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- student worksheets.