In this activity, students use models to visualise the layers inside the Earth.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- identify some of the layers inside the Earth
- describe some of the physical characteristics of these layers
- explain how the models are a representation of the Earth
- discuss how these models are different from what is really inside the Earth.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student handout.
Nature of Science
Scientists often use models to explain things we cannot easily see. The models used in this activity help students picture some of the characteristics of the layers inside the Earth.