In this activity, students use a picture book and/or dig a hole to learn more about soil, observation and inference in science.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- make observations about what they see in the picture book
- make inferences about what they think is happening in the picture book
- use their senses of sight and touch to make observations about soil from the playground
- make inferences about the soil based on their observations.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension ideas.
Nature of Science
Science knowledge is based on observations of the natural physical world. Scientists make inferences and draw conclusions from these observations.