In this activity, students make a tracking tunnel to monitor the presence of pest species in a neighbouring gully or their school grounds.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand the uses of tracking tunnels in conservation
- create a functional tracking tunnel
- identify any tracks present in their tracking tunnel
- decide on a plan of action if any tracks are present.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- extension ideas
- student instruction.
Find out how a weasel going through a tracking tunnel at ZEALANDIA was the first sign of that this pest had got past the predator-proof fence.