In this activity, students use white butterfly eggs, larvae and pupae to examine the white butterfly life cycle and to compare it with that of a monarch butterfly.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- observe and discuss the life cycle of the white butterfly
- compare and contrast the white butterfly’s life cycle with that of the monarch
- record and graph caterpillar growth.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- student handout.
Visit the Wikipedia website to see images of the Pieris rapae life cycle.