In this activity, students use (or observe the teacher using) a small coring tool to make a core sample from some available waste ground and examine the resulting sample for features such as particle size, colour variation and layering.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe the steps in taking a small soil core sample
- describe some of the features that can be observed in a soil core sample.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- ideas for extending your students