In this activity, students select items to include in a home disaster kit in case of emergency and calculate how much food and water they will need to include in a disaster kit for their family.
By the end of this activity, students should understand:
- that everyone faces danger from natural disasters
- that we can help reduce the impact of a disaster by being prepared
- the contents of a basic emergency kit
- what sort of items should not be included in an emergency kit and why
- where to find out information about emergencies and being prepared.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- extension activities
- student worksheets.