In this computer-based activity, students work in pairs or threes to find New Zealand volcanoes using a map and Google Earth. Google Earth gives impressive 3D aerial photography that can be viewed in great detail by scrolling with a mouse. Volcanoes in New Zealand are clearly evident.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- appreciate the topography of New Zealand
- recognise some volcanoes on aerial/satellite photographs
- use a map to find volcanoes in aerial/satellite photographs
- to explain latitude and longitude
- use latitude and longitude to record the location of volcanoes.
Download the Word file (see link above) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- discussion questions
- student worksheets