In this activity, students memorise a number of items from the star compass as wayfinding navigators would have to do. This experience may help students understand how and why wayfinders use the star compass to memorise stars. Games are used to help consolidate the learning.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain that memory is important for wayfinding
- describe what the star compass is and how it helps wayfinders
- recite the houses in the star compass
- name at least five stars and the houses they rise from and set to on the star compass.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension activities
- materials for game.
For other memory strategies, try this site.