In this activity, students learn to draw a range of simple circuit diagrams, using specific symbols for electrical components that can be understood worldwide.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- recognise, use and draw specific electrical symbols and diagrams.
Download the Word file (see below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need and what to do
- extension ideas
- student worksheets
- activity answers.
The article Electricity and sensors explains the basics of electric currents, circuits, conductivity and switches. Discover more about the the role of resistors in controlling the flow of electrical currents.
Try one or more of these activities:
- Testing for conductivity involves the construction of simple electrical circuits to test a variety of materials for their conductive abilities.
- Challenging switches involves the construction of electrical circuits to explore the role of switches.
- Controlling resistance explores the concept of variable resistance by using a simple electrical circuit.