In this activity, students aim spears at a model of a fish in a container of water. When they move their spears towards the fish, they miss! This activity investigates refraction
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe how the fish appears to be closer to the surface of the water than it is
- draw a diagram to show how the light coming from the fish bends (refracts) as it moves from water into air
- explain that this bending of light makes the fish appear to be in a different place than it actually is
- discuss the correct place to aim if you want to hit the fish
- recall the meaning of the term refraction.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension ideas
- student instructions.