In this activity, students test a variety of commercially available table salts for the presence of iodine – a micronutrient essential for health and wellbeing.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- recognise the difference in structural terms between the element iodine and one of its ionic forms known as iodide ion
- describe a simple chemical test to detect the presence of iodine in iodised salt and explain in simple terms the chemistry underlying the test
- effectively manipulate simple laboratory equipment
- successfully test commercially available table salts for the presence of iodine
- demonstrate an understanding of the role iodine plays in the body.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student worksheet.