In this activity, students will prepare a tile of lime plaster and then paint it in the fresco style. The chemistry that lies behind this technique will then be explored.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe how lime is made from limestone
- define the term ‘slaked lime
- prepare a lime mortar by mixing slaked lime with sand
- better understand the chemistry behind the drying and hardening of the lime mortar
- describe how frescos are made.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student handout.