In this activity, students set up an alcoholic fermentation, prepare and view a slide of bacteria responsible for monolactate fermentation and answer questions about a video clip on gut bacteria fermentation.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain the meaning of the terms ‘aerobic’ and ‘anaerobic
- describe the bacterial fermentation process used in yoghurt production
- describe the yeast (fungal) fermentation process used in wine making
- describe the bacterial fermentation process that occurs in the part of the human gut known as the large intestine
- demonstrate a basic understanding of some of the gut bacteria research being conducted by scientists at Plant & Food Research.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student worksheets.