COVID-19 has had such an impact on the way we live and work and indeed the way we teach. This article is to help you easily find resources we’ve created. They are organised into sections that are designed to meet various needs.
For teachers, we’ve created:
- ‘grab and go’ resources – ready-to-use, cross-curricular worksheets (consider them a whole day’s planning in one place)
- Home Learning TV episodes – support materials and extension ideas
- resources on viruses, COVID-19 and our immune system.
For parents and caregivers, we’ve created:
- learning science from home – age-based experiences with wrap-around resources.
Science is about discovery, curiosity and observation. Each topic within the articles below includes wrap-around resources to help with background information for adults or caregivers.
- Learning science from home – ideas to deepen learning
- Learning science from home – early childhood
- Learning science from home – lower primary
- Learning science from home – middle primary
- Learning science from home – upper primary
- Learning science from home – secondary
These are downloadable worksheet-based resources in Word, allowing you to edit them to suit your students or use them just as they are. They cover literacy, maths and science. They are based on the Connected articles, which are available online through TKI, and some also have audio files with the stories.
- Birds in my backyard
- Tired muscles
- Frogs for the future?
- Puzzling out Pacific migrations
- Science and partnership with a Sāmoan village
The two below feature Dr Hoare, one of New Zealand’s leading entomologists, and could also be used alongside TV episodes:
- COVID-19 key words and codes
- Florence Nightingale – a pioneer of hand washing and hygiene for health
- Fighting infection – the human immune system
Are your students watching Home Learning TV (SKY channel 502, Freeview channel 7 and TV 2+1) as part of your teaching and learning programme? Shawn Cooper is presenting the science and some of the integrated science and maths episodes. The science scripts, content and resources Shawn uses have been written by the Hub team. We have also created collections that contain the resources mentioned in the episodes, along with additional support.
Below are the episodes currently featured on TVNZ OnDemand. Future episodes will cover some great topics like moths, Antarctica, forces, flight and much more.
- Discovering and naming new species – see our collection of related resources here
- Sea science – see our collection of related resources here
- Moths and butterflies – middle primary science – see our collection of related resources here
- Citizen science and moths – middle primary science
- Sleep sleuths – middle primary science
- Heat and temperature – middle primary science
- The takeaway table – middle primary science
- Flight – middle science – see our collection of related resources here
- Antartica – middle primary science
- Volcanoes – middle primary science
- Pet power – upper primary science
- States of matter – upper primary science – see our collection of related resources here
- Turning old into – middle primary science
- Biosecurity and our ngahere (forest) – middle primary science
- Ferns – middle primary science
- Takahē – middle primary science
Have a look for inspiration and ideas on our Learning science from home Pinterest board