This activity is a ready-to-use cross curricular teaching resource. It is intended for NZC levels 4–5. The student worksheet can be printed, making it suitable for students working away from a school setting. The landfill labelling interactive is also available as a printable activity, or it can be completed online.
The purpose is to encourage students to:
- consider how landfill systems have changed from the days of tipping or dumping wastes
- think about the time it takes for items to decompose
- consider how information is presented in a landfill diagram (science capability ‘Interpret representations’)
- use literacy skills and science knowledge to label a landfill diagram.
Feel free to edit the Word document to meet the needs of your programme and your learners. There is a separate Word document with the activity answers.
Download the activity Word file (see link below).
Download the activity answers Word file (see link below).
Landfills and literacy
This ready-to-use activity is a component of the activity Looking at modern landfill systems. Additional components include:
- engineering practices
- a template for creating a timeline of rubbish disposal in Aotearoa
- an exploration of local waste management practices
- considerations for waste minimisation.