In this activity, students write an explanation of how heat energy is involved in the change of state as ice changes to water and then to water vapour. The science capability ‘Use evidence’ can support students to use information from annotated diagrams to explain scientific observations.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- use evidence and information from a diagram to explain how heat energy is involved in changes of state
- give reasons for their suggested explanation
- identify ways to check their explanation with current science ideas
- apply their understanding about changes of state to another situation.
Download the Word file (see below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student handout.
Nature of Science
This activity links to ‘Understanding about science’ and ‘Investigating in science’. Students engage with the science capability ‘Use evidence’ to develop scientific explanations about change of state.
Find out more about the science capabilities.