In this activity, students use thermometers inside water-filled soda bottles to investigate how dark and light colours affect heat absorption.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- use a thermometer correctly
- explain the difference between temperature and heat
- explain that darker coloured objects are good absorbers of light energy and heat up faster than lighter coloured objects, which are poorer absorbers of light energy
- decide whether it is better to wear a black T-shirt or a white T-shirt on a hot sunny day.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- student handout.