In this activity, students watch a teacher demonstration, and the results will allow an estimate of the latent heat of vaporisation of water to be made.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- recognise some of the hazards present when experimenting with steam
- gain an understanding of the huge amount of energy need to convert water at 100°C into steam at the same temperature
- apply the law of energy conservation to trace the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy
- calculate a value for the latent heat of vaporisation of water.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do.