In this activity, students explore ethical issues related to fighting infection. Students learn about the science involved and the associated ethical dilemmas. They have opportunities to discuss and deliberate before making their own decision that they can justify.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain some of the science involved in the issue
- explain some of the ethical aspects of the issue
- be able to make a decision about the ethical issue
- be able to justify their decision.
Download the Word file (see link above) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do.
Nature of Science
Discussions about ethics in science are strongly associated with the nature of science. In the nature of science strand, the 2007 science curriculum states students should use their growing science knowledge when considering issues of concern to them. They should explore aspects of an issue and make decisions about possible choices.