By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand where saliva is produced in the body
- have an awareness that the tongue is responsible for taste and be able to identify papillae
- discuss the functions of saliva and realise that it is not only limited to the process of digestion
- make the link between saliva and the sense of taste
- understand the connection between the sense of smell and the sense of taste.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student worksheet.
In Sensory scientists take a brief look at the qualifications needed to work in this field and what might be expected of these scientists in the work environment.
In Colour and taste students investigate the belief held by scientists that colour has an influence on the taste of food.