In this activity, students collect and record data and use it to create 2D and 3D images of an unseen surface. They will then understand some of the processes involved in mapping the unknown.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- use a probe to scan data points of a hidden surface
- create a data sheet for the hidden surface
- use the data to create 2D and 3D images of the hidden surface
- briefly explain how nanotechnologists use tools to create images of things at the nanoscale.
Download the Word file for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- student handout.