By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- read and comprehend a variety of science texts
- recognise and distinguish between relative and absolute dating methods
- realise that dating is important in several fields of science
- use the Science Learning Hub as a research tool.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- student worksheets.
Nature of science
When there is a wide range of measurement methods available, scientists need to choose the best one to suit their material and situation.
Help your students understand more about dating methods with these other activities:
- Using absolute dating methods uses the interactive Absolute dating methods and Absolute dating rock layers – quiz. Students learn about and then choose the best absolute dating method for each layer of rock in a cliff, based on material present in each rock.
- Build a timescale – develop a timescale for a person’s life. The techniques of relative and absolute dating are similar to those used in the construction of a geological timescale.