In this activity, students watch the Brainiac video Jon Tickle walks on custard on YouTube to learn more about non-Newtonian fluids at work. The activity includes a number of strategies to deepen student interaction with video content.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- discuss the differences between Newtonian fluids (‘normal liquids’) and non-Newtonian fluids
- explain the scientific meanings of stress and strain as they relate to fluids
- discuss how non-Newtonian fluids change their viscosity or flow behaviour under stress
- explain why Jon Tickle is able to walk on custard but not on water.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- background information for teachers
- teacher instructions
- student instructions.