In this activity, students explore Māori perspectives concerning estuaries.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain how a Māori legend can show aspects of Māori thinking and living in early settlement of New Zealand.
- recognise some Māori words for common items found in an estuary
- explain the concept of kaitiakitanga in simple terms
- describe why people value estuaries from a Māori and non-Māori perspective.
Download the Word file (see below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- items found in estuaries
- Māori name cards.
Te Ara's Mātaitai – shellfish gathering provides an overview of traditional kaimoana harvesting.