In this activity, students are introduced to the concept of density. They calculate the volume of various materials to determine and then rank their densities.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- discuss how all matter is made up of particles
- discuss that density is a measure of how closely these particles are packed together
- discuss that the tighter the packing, the more dense the material
- explain that density is measured in units of mass per unit volume
- use formulae to determine density and volumes.
Download the Word file for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions.