In this activity, students find the moisture content of a soil sample and compare it to soil samples from different locations around the school. You can record your data and share it on a student national soil moisture database – use the form at the bottom of this page.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- observe similarities and differences among soil samples
- measure and record changes in soil moisture content
- use a simple formula to determine soil moisture content
- upload the data to the student national soil moisture database.
Download the Word file (see link at the bottom of the page) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension ideas
- student handout.
Record your data on this data collecting form below, and view the results here. Let's see how much soil moisture data we can collect.
Once you've added your results, refresh this page to see instant results on the soil moisture map below.