In this activity, students watch a video describing different types of volcanic rocks and then match the chemical composition and type of volcanic eruption each rock is associated with.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to
- name the three different types of rocks associated with volcanoes in New Zealand
- explain how scientists group rocks together into different classifications
- describe which rocks are associated with which type of volcano
- explain the different types of magma and how scientists can use information from rocks to find out when eruptions occurred.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- instructions on what you need and what to do
- student worksheets.