In this activity, students read a legend of Kupe. They compare this with modern-day voyaging without navigational instruments to work out what might have happened during the Polynesian migration.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain who Kupe was and where he was touted to have travelled
- briefly describe the voyage of the Waka Tapu
- explain how and why legends such as Kupe may be based on actual events.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- the voyaging story of Kupe.