In this activity, students examine the role of heat as water changes from a solid to a liquid to a gas and back again.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- identify a logical sequence of solids to liquids to gases and the reverse
- discuss in very simple terms the role of heat in water’s changes of state.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension ideas.
Written for teachers, but with young students in mind, the science articles explore several concepts:
- Water – looks at its importance and its unusual characteristics.
- Solids, liquids and gases – uses water as the context to explain states of matter.
- Melting and freezing – how changes of state involve the addition or removal of heat energy.
You might also wabnt to look at What is energy?.
In Water molecules in drama students learn about the physical characteristics of water in its different states.