In this activity, students investigate some of the physical, chemical and physiological properties of carbon dioxide gas. In addition, a model demonstrating the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will be constructed.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- describe a chemical test for CO2
- relate the water solubility of CO2 to temperature
- describe some of the uses of carbon dioxide
- describe the effects rising levels of CO2 in inhaled air can have on the body
- gain an appreciation of the meaning of the term part per million.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student handout.