In this activity, students use a rocket launch simulation. They change variables such as thrust to make a rocket go as high as possible.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- investigate how thrust, time of thrust and mass of a rocket can be changed to make a rocket go as high as possible
- explore how drag influences the height reached by a rocket
- explore how the speed and forces acting on a rocket change during a launch
- explore how the changing mass of a rocket (as propellant is used and ejected) affects the speed and height of a rocket.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student record sheet.