In this activity, students are introduced to the interactive What killed the dogs? After working through the interactive, they consider the processes used by the toxicology scientists a little more closely.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- identify a given toxin using known chemical structures
- explain what a molecular formula is
- explain in simple terms how liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) can be used to detect toxins
- show an understanding of the concept of LD50
Download the Word file for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student handouts.