In this activity, students research an earthworm of their choice before completing a Wormface profile for their earthworm. This activity is designed to replicate the creation of an online social networking profile (like Facebook) and requires computer access.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand that not all earthworms are the same and that different species show differences in pigmentation, size, preferred habitat and so on
- explain some features of their chosen earthworm including favourite foods, habitat and whether they are native or introduced
- describe the role their earthworm plays in the ecosystem
- better explain some common scientific terms including ‘scientific name’, ‘native’, ‘introduced’, ‘habitat’ and ‘ecosystem’.
Download the Word file (see below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do.
Note: Click the picture below to open Wormface – social networking for earthworms in a popup. You will need the Adobe Flash Player to view it.