In this activity, students hone their observation skills and practise using the science capabilities ‘Gather and interpret data’ and ‘Interpret representations’. The activity has two parts:
- Observing physical fungal specimens (mushrooms).
- Observing images of fungi.
Educators can choose to do one or both, depending on time and resources.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- identify some physical characteristics of fungal specimens
- learn and use scientific vocabulary in both te reo Māori and English
- practise using the science capabilities ‘Gather and interpret data’ and ‘Interpret representations’.
Equipment required includes:
- mushrooms from the supermarket or collected by a local expert
- observation devices (hand lenses, digital microscope, tablet with camera)
- paper for recording ideas
- fungi image cards (from the Word download).
Download the Word file (see link below).