In this activity, students can test their knowledge of freshwater fish online or in a paper-based quiz. The quiz can be used as an introductory tool to gauge students’ prior knowledge, as a summative assessment or as an engaging treasure hunt to introduce students to some of the different adaptations, habitats and threats of New Zealand native freshwater fish. Questions 3 and 4 in the quiz are designed to engage and stimulate classroom discussion around the conservation status of these fish.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- answer specific questions about freshwater fish in New Zealand
- check or revise their answers using related web resources
- identify some of New Zealand’s native fish species, habitats and threats
- discuss aspects of the New Zealand Threat Classification System rankings of some of our freshwater fish.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- background information for teachers
- student instructions.