The activity requires students to reflect on their understanding of the science ideas represented in the diagram and consider how the representation supports them to understand these ideas through its use of scientific conventions and terms.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- identify the key science ideas in a scientific diagram
- describe how the diagram supports the science ideas through its use of scientific conventions and terms
- use information from the scientific diagram to identify the key science ideas
- write a scientific explanation of how a heat pump works using the key science ideas represented in the diagram.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension idea
- student handout.
Nature of Science
Scientists use a range of conventions to represent scientific ideas, and students need to be conversant with these to make meaning of this information. As part of the development of student ability to communicate in science, teaching and learning must expose students to a range of scientific representations.
Find out more about the science capabilities.