In this activity, students investigate gaseous diffusion and effusion. After completing a laboratory experiment to gain a basic understanding of diffusion and effusion, students investigate carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- understand the difference between diffusion and effusion
- relate the diffusion of gases to the kinetic theory model for gases
- link gaseous diffusion to the movement of toxic gases like carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide
- provide a simple rap/poem/song to highlight the some of the dangers of poisonous gas diffusion.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do.
Factsheet – Forklifts + Carbon Monoxide = A Potentially Deadly Combination.
H2S Safety Factsheet.