Thermometers measure temperature. Daniel Fahrenheit is credited with the invention of the first thermometer, which was constructed using glass and mercury.
In this activity, students will construct a simple thermometer using water inside a straw. This activity supports the development of the science capabilities, especially ‘Gather and interpret data’, ‘Use evidence’ and ‘Critique evidence’.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- build a simple thermometer
- collect data using their thermometer
- interpret and make meaning of their data
- discuss the reliability of their data.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- background information for teachers
- equipment list
- student instructions
- extension ideas/prompting questions for teachers.
Activities are designed to be adaptable to meet students’ requirements, age level and ability.
Nature of science
In this activity, students will build on their understandings about how scientists use tools to measure and collect data about the environment.