In this activity, students carry out a genetics webquest using resources from the Science Learning Hub or a genetics animation from the Learn Genetics website.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain the key terms DNA, gene, chromosome, trait, genotype and phenotype
- describe where DNA is found in the body
- explain that genes code for specific proteins
- explain the basic concept of inheritance – that parents pass chromosomes on to their children
- explain how our phenotypes are a result of an interaction between genetic make-up and environmental factors
- give some examples of environmental factors that affect our phenotypes.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension ideas
- student worksheets
- teacher answer sheet.
Visit the Learn Genetics website to go on an animated tour covering DNA, genes, chromosomes, proteins, heredity and traits.