In this activity, students carry out a genetics webquest using resources from the Science Learning Hub or a genetics animation from the Learn Genetics website.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain the key terms chromosome, DNA, gene, trait, genotype and phenotype
- describe where DNA is found in the body
- explain that genes code for specific proteins
- explain the basic concept of inheritance – that parents pass chromosomes on to their children
- explain how our phenotypes are a result of an interaction between genetic make-up and environmental factors
- give some examples of environmental factors that affect our phenotypes.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- extension ideas
- student worksheets
- teacher answer sheet.
Visit the Learn Genetics website to go on an animated tour covering DNA, genes, chromosomes, proteins, heredity and traits. The animation can be downloaded and run without an internet connection.