Below are some interesting facts about food.
- Pacific oysters are high in zinc, iron, iodine and the essential amino acids taurin and hypotaurine which reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- New Zealanders eat about 60 million pies a year, which means that each person eats on average 15 pies a year
- Almonds and dates, both mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible, were among the earliest cultivated foods.
- Phosphoric acid makes soft drinks fizzy and acidic like lemon juice, so lots of sugar is added to make them taste sweet.
- A child eating a pie, chips, a cookie and a fizzy drink for lunch is likely to consume 10 teaspoons of fat and 20 of sugar.
- One standard can of soft drink (330 mls) contains up to 10 teaspoons of sugar.
- About 1/2 of the calories in the average fast food meal come from fat.
Find out more about foods.