In this activity, students compare red and white muscle flesh and relate this to muscle function and look at muscle by dissecting a chicken thigh and leg.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- discuss the colour of muscle and how it is related to muscle function
- locate and describe the various tissues and structures of the leg and thigh of a chicken
- use some of the specialised vocabulary related to anatomy
- discuss some of the similarities between the chicken leg and thigh and the human leg.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student handout.