In this activity, students collect measurements that will enable them to calculate the pressure exerted by each foot when standing normally. SI units, derived units and prefixes will be used throughout.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- use graph paper to measure the area presented by each foot when standing normally
- convert a kilogram body mass measure into body weight in newtons (N)
- convert area units in cm2 to m2
- calculate pressure by dividing body weight by foot area
- apply the knowledge gained to footwear such as stiletto heels and snowshoes.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- discussion questions
- student worksheet.