In this activity, students calculate their RMR (resting metabolic rate) and use this to calculate the energy cost of various activities. From these values, an estimate of their average daily energy expenditure can be made.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- explain the meaning of resting metabolic rate (RMR)
- calculate an approximate value for their resting metabolic rate
- understand the concept of metabolic equivalents and how it is used
- estimate their average daily energy expenditure.
Download the Word file (see link below) for:
- introduction/background notes
- what you need
- what to do
- student worksheets.